Friday, November 21, 2008

Brooke - Friday, 6:00pm

Today was a surprisingly good day. Brooke was in good spirits as he learns to communicate better with his trach. He even wanted to watch TV, which is so unlike him. His lungs are definitely improving and they've stopped using the heavy duty antibiotics (he is just on the common garden variety now). There is still work to be done on his lungs and he will remain in the SICU until the lungs are more stable. Because he is on a ventilator, his lungs are compromised and susceptible to even the smallest of germs and bugs. Once SICU considers him stable, he will be moved to an acute care floor and then to the rehab unit. Doctors from many different specialties (rehab, occupational therapy, etc.) came to see him today, giving us the indication that they are beginning to look long term, rather than focusing on day-to-day survival.

Someone asked how Peggy is doing... she is doing OK now, given that she has such a huge family and friend support network. I worry how she will deal with all of this once the family leaves (we will be back but not all together), so I'm hoping that everyone will rally around her in the next few weeks (and months). She will need people to visit and sit with Brooke (since she can't be there all the time) and make sure that she is taking care of herself.

Please continue your good wishes and thoughts, as we can all but feel the energy being sent his way.

5 comments:

Ron Barness said...

Hi Sarah... I am sorry I have been missing this week, but Brooke AND Peggy have been in my constant thoughts and prayers. My life will be made much simpler in a few days and I will be much more available to both of these dear friends. I live close-by and promise that I will be more available in the coming days. I don't know how to call you, so please call me when you have a moment: 801-232-3363. XO Ron

Tom Huckin said...

Sarah,
Not to worry. Brooke and Peggy's many friends will take up the slack when you and other family members can't be here. We'll be there for the long haul, I assure you.

Tom

SFF64 said...

Dear Brooke and Peggy, My best wishes for Brooke's recovery. I've been watching the blog for several days and am so sorry that this accident happened, but am delighted that Brooke appears to be making some progress. Having had a recent surgery, I empathize with being in the hospital, and with all the caregivers' concerns. Much gratitude that you are getting better! Warmest Regards, Susan F. Fleming

Pfeifferhorn said...

Sondra and I are following Brooke's progress and are heartened by the latest developments with shoulders and foot. We know that he's going to recover. Deseret Peak and the Pfeifferhorn are waiting for us to return, Brooke. With love from us both, Geoff and Sondra Aggeler

GILL COCHRAN said...

BROOKE, YOUR A
SAND PILE BUDDY IS THINKING ABOUT YOU AND DOING A GOOD BIT OF PRAYING TOO. I DO MAGIC NOW AND WANT TO DO SOME ON YOU. I WISH IT WERE THAT SIMPLE. KEEP UP THE GOOD SPIRITS. GILL COCHRAN